Monday, May 23, 2016

You say, I say

Right now I am kind of fixated on Psalms 11. It opens with the most significant words of the chapter - In the LORD I put my trust, but than the speaker lashes out at the person s/he is talking to with - How can you say to my soul, "Flee as a bird to your mountain?" and follows up with more words of why they should flee.  This trust that has been boldly stated is contradicted and ends with - If the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do? 

I like this chapter...nay, I keep gravitating to this chapter because regardless of what the other person has said, the speaker stubbornly follows up the scar tactic with The LORD is in His holy temple (the most righteous place to be), The LORD's throne is in heaven (His seat of power) His eyelids test the sons of men (He is active in the lives of men). The LORD tests the righteous (He seeks out those who trust Him). The chapter is short but the essential thought that becomes very evident is the speaker's refusal to believe that God's protection will be absent during this scary time. The speaker is saying, my God is STRONG/BIG and this is how STRONG/BIG He is, He is active in my life so, I will not run.

This is why I love this chapter. So many times throughout the week I keep hearing this message of run to the mountain from the Christian world and the secular world. Oh, I know that Jesus is coming, and I do want Him to come. This world is on its last legs. Yet, the only thing I want to convey is my God is big and this is how BIG He is! People are tired of hearing the world flee, because, honestly, after the doom we are promised peace.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment