Matthew 7:28 When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at his teachings...
very rich man = very poor man
fine clothing = covered in sores
abundant food = starving for crumbs
has funeral = no funeral
"Hades" = Abraham's bosom
Torment = peace
no name = Lazarus (God is my helper)
- during this time period, people were debating about the state of the dead
The closing scenes of this earth's history are portrayed in the closing of the rich man's history...Christ's Object Lessons 269
To be "lost" is tragic!
- those who do not have a growing relationship with God
Mark 9:43-44 -symbolic of being lost?
Matthew 25:30 - symbolic of a reality of being lost
Revelation 6:16-17 - underline the idea of being lost is a tragic thing in God's eyes. Being lost should be a burden on ours souls. Being lost is not a good thing.
Hebrew 9:2-7 - We have this life and this day. When we are lost sometimes we are having a great time until we realize we are lost.
- People don't care, by nature they don't care. The disciples knew that they didn't worry about people like Christ worried. We need to learn to care and worry about people.
- We need to pray for a burden like Jesus did.
Gimics don't work (Luke16:27-31)
- The rich man is accusing God by telling Him he hasn't done any miracles or anything special in his life.
Matthew 16:1 - the pharisees asked for a sign
Act 1:6-8 - are you finally going to do something, Jesus? But Jesus points to them instead.
Ministry of Healing 143 "Christ's method alone will give true success in reaching the people. The Savior mingled with men as one who desired their good. He showed His sympathy for them, ministered to their needs, and won their confidence. Then He bade them, follow Me."
1 Peter 3:15...but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give...
More Sensitive to Ministries of Compassion
- world standards for being rich = more than 1 meal a day, can read and write, a modes of transportation and a change of clothes
There are Lazarus' all around us. We are rich in something as beggars are at our doors. Every one of us has a beggar in their lives.
Matthew 25:31-35 (important last day text)
Desire of Ages 637 "Thus Christ on Mount of Olives...do for him in the person of the poor and the suffering. We have to have more compassion for the poor and suffering.
We need to study, embrace and obey the word of God.
Warnings against sign-seeking = against the neglecting the study of God's word, believing the 2nd chance after death, being so absorbed by the pleasures of this world that we can't see Lazarus at our gate.