Saturday, December 29, 2012

The LORD came to me saying, "...what do you see?" And I said, "I see a branch of an almond tree", Then the LORD said to me, "You have seen correctly, for I am ready to perform My word". 

In the Old Testament, the almond tree was a symbol of watchfulness, and the word itself means "watchful, wake". It's like He was saying to Jeremiah, Hey, be aware, lean in and listen carefully - because in the next several verses, God yet again says, what do you see? Jeremiah was the forever student, he was perpetually pitched forward into the arena of learning, and very little of it had to do with choice. From the womb, the boy had been designated to be a mouth piece, but also initiated into a tumultuous yet intimate conversation with his Creator - the clay talking back to the hand.

I am a perpetual student, and I was just taught about being watchful via an almond tree branch. Weird. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment